A single Stenen Press Award will be given in 2022. The winner receives a cash award of $2000 and publication of their book.
By entering the Stenen Press Award 2022, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
Eligibility – Authors
- Writers from anywhere in the world may enter, if eligible.
- Entrants must submit the work using their name, not a pen name. A pen name may be used when announcing their win, if requested.
- By entering, entrants accept that their email address will be added to the Stenen Press mailing list.
- By entering, winners accept that quotes from their entry and their photo and bio details may be used to promote the Stenen Press Award in Literature.
- This Award competition is not open to members of the Editorial Board, their students and close associates, or employees of Stenen Press LLC. Family members of the aforementioned are also not eligible.
Eligibility – Original manuscript + Sample English translation
- Must be your original work.
- Must be complete.
- Manuscripts are usually between 20-80 pages. Remember that a Stenen Press publication is in bilingual format so appropriate length is a critical consideration.
- Must be written in a language other than English.
- Must not infringe upon the copyright of any person or entity.
- No entry will be returned or kept after the winners have been announced.
- Entries will be acknowledged upon completion of Submittable submission.
- Entries that entered the Stenen Press Award competition in previous years and did not win, may enter.
Sample English translation
- In a separate document, please include a sample of the original manuscript (25%) translated into English. Your translated samples should be representative of the book as a whole.
- Sample translations are for review purposes only and may, or may not, be used in the final publication.
- Stenen Press retains the right to appoint a translator for any of its publications.
Works that are not Eligible
- Excerpts from both the original language manuscript and the translation may have been previously published, but both pieces, as a whole, must be unpublished (this includes on a website, Wattpad or any other online or offline platform). **However, if submitting an anthology, we ask that the neither original nor translation, of any of the included selections, have been published elsewhere.
How to Enter
- All submissions must be made through the Submittable platform. We do not accept hard copy submissions.
- Please submit three documents 1) the original, completed manuscript 2) a representative sample English translation (25%) and 3) a letter/email by the copyright holder granting permission to translate.
- 12-point font. Page numbers are required. A Table of Contents is highly encouraged, particularly with anthologized works or short stories.
- Stenen Press also invites a brief statement to be included with short story or anthology submissions, explaining the choices behind pairing these stories and/or texts.
- Excerpts from both the original language manuscript and the translation may have been previously published, but both pieces, as a whole, must be unpublished.
- Entries for the 2022 competition open on May 3, 2022 at 00:00 am US Eastern Time and close on June 30, 2022 at 23:59 (11:59 pm) US Eastern Time. Please check a time zone converter to avoid disappointment and inability to enter https://www.thetimezoneconverter.com/.
- Manuscripts that are incomplete, do not follow formatting guidelines, have corrupted files or are submitted outside of the Award submission period, will not be considered.
- No alteration may be made to the entry once it is submitted.
- By entering this competition, each entrant agrees to be bound by the competition guidelines, terms and conditions.
Review & Judging Process
- Each entry is assessed by the Stenen Press Editorial Board, in consultation with experts fluent in the original language of the manuscript.
- Our review and judging process adheres to the CLMP Contest Code of Ethics (see below).
- Only winners will be contacted.
- A “general announcement” email will be sent to all entrants in August/September of 2022. No individual feedback will be provided.
- The decisions of the Stenen Press Editorial Board are final. No correspondence will be entered into regarding the judging process. We thank you for your patience with our process.
- If your manuscript is selected by another press for publication while under our review, you are required to notify us.
Thank you for entering. We look forward to reading your manuscript.
New to Submittable?
Consult this video to learn how to submit your work using Submittable.
CLMP Contest Code of Ethics
The Stenen Press competition adheres to the Council of Literary Magazines & Presses Contest Code of Ethics as stated below.
“CLMP’s community of independent literary publishers believes that ethical contests serve our shared goal: to connect writers and readers by publishing exceptional writing. We believe that intent to act ethically, clarity of guidelines, and transparency of process form the foundation of an ethical contest. To that end, we agree to 1) conduct our contests as ethically as possible and to address any unethical behavior on the part of our readers, judges, or editors; 2) to provide clear and specific contest guidelines — defining conflict of interest for all parties involved; and 3) to make the mechanics of our selection process available to the public. This Code recognizes that different contest models produce different results, but that each model can be run ethically. We have adopted this Code to reinforce our integrity and dedication as a publishing community and to ensure that our contests contribute to a vibrant literary heritage.”